This meal is surprisingly straightforward to make and stuffed with taste.
This Coq au Vin recipe simmers tender rooster and recent greens in a wealthy, savory wine sauce. It’s a particular sort of meal with little fuss.
What’s Coq au Vin?
Coq au Vin (AKA ‘rooster with wine’) is a French dish made by braising rooster in a wine-based broth with bacon, carrots, mushrooms, and recent herbs. Braising is straightforward; it merely means browning the rooster after which slowly cooking it partially lined in liquid.
This Coq au Vin recipe is a simplified model of Julia Youngster’s recipe that packs all the taste of the unique into a simple one-pan dish.
Components for Coq au Vin
- Bacon – Bacon provides taste and salt to this dish.
- Rooster – Bone-in thighs and drumsticks are darkish meat which makes them further flavorful and naturally juicy. Pores and skin-on cut up rooster breasts can be used on this recipe.
- Greens – Mushrooms, onions, and carrots are staples on this coq au vin recipe. In the event you’re feeling fancy, use pearl onions rather than yellow onions.
- Wine –Any wine works for Coq au Vin; when cooking with wine, skip the cooking wine or overly costly ones. Go for desk reds like burgundy, merlot, or pinot noir. Since it is a rooster cooked in wine, it isn’t really helpful to switch the wine.
- Broth – I exploit beef inventory because it has a wealthy taste; nonetheless, it may be changed with rooster broth or rooster inventory.
The way to Make Coq au Vin
Coq au Vin is a sublime entree with rooster and veggies cooked in a savory wine broth!
- Prepare dinner the bacon and switch to a plate.
- Brown the rooster in batches in accordance with the recipe beneath.
- Prepare dinner the greens till barely softened. Stir within the remaining substances and add the rooster and half of the bacon to the skillet.
- Bake uncovered (per recipe beneath) till the rooster is cooked by way of and the pores and skin is golden brown.
Ideas for Coq au Vin
- If desired, you possibly can thicken the broth with a slurry or separate it from the opposite substances and simmer the sauce on the stovetop in a small pan over medium warmth.
- Coq au Vin will be made upfront and stored refrigerated for as much as 2 days (the flavors will proceed to mix)! Reheat in a Dutch oven on the stovetop on low warmth.
- Freeze Coq au Vin in hermetic containers for as much as 3 months and thaw within the fridge in a single day. Reheat in a Dutch oven on the stovetop on low warmth.
Completely Paired Facet Dishes
Did you like this Coq au Vin dish? Make sure to depart a score and a remark beneath!
Coq au Vin
Coq au Vin is a sublime entree with seasoned rooster and recent veggies, cooked in a flavorful purple wine sauce.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Add the bacon to a deep 12-inch skillet or a braiser and prepare dinner over medium warmth till crisp. With a slotted spoon, switch the bacon to a paper towel lined plate leaving the bacon grease within the skillet.
Season rooster items with salt and pepper and prepare dinner the rooster thighs pores and skin facet down for five minutes or till golden brown after which switch to a plate. Repeat with the drumsticks, turning till browned and add to the plate.
In the identical pan add sliced mushrooms, carrot, and onion (including butter or further oil if wanted) and prepare dinner simply till the mushrooms and onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
Stir within the garlic and tomato paste and prepare dinner till aromatic, about 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour, stir, and prepare dinner for 1 minute extra.
Add the purple wine and beef inventory, a bit at a time, stirring after every addition till easy. Add thyme, bay leaves, and half of the bacon. Stir to mix.
Gently place the rooster on high of the greens.
Cowl and bake for half-hour. Uncover and bake for a further half-hour or till the rooster is cooked by way of and the pores and skin is golden.
Take away and discard bay leaves. Garnish with the remaining bacon and serve over mashed potatoes or pasta.
Cremini mushrooms have a pleasant meaty taste and texture however will be substituted with white mushrooms or portobellos.
In the event you shouldn’t have a braiser or deep oven proof skillet, this may be ready in a big Dutch oven or an ovenproof pot.
You can even put together this coq au vin recipe in a skillet after which switch it to a casserole dish. If baking in a casserole dish, enhance the lined cooking time to 40 minutes.
Energy: 624 | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 46g | Fats: 33g | Saturated Fats: 10g | Ldl cholesterol: 213mg | Sodium: 666mg | Potassium: 1108mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 8209IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 3mg
Vitamin info offered is an estimate and can differ based mostly on cooking strategies and types of substances used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.